Check out this DIY video tutorial from Curbly, the best place to share pictures of your home, find design ideas, and get expert home-improvement advice.
With the help of some 4-inch square ceramic tiles, turning decorative paper napkins into a set of very polished-looking coasters is easy. Learn how to use decorative paper napkins to make tile coasters. To make this set of four coasters, you'll need the following:
* 4-4" square ceramic tiles (you can find these at your big box store for about 15 cents a piece)
* Mod Podge (I used the Matte-Mat)
* small paint brush
* polyurethane (I used Aqua-Zar in satin, but glossy would look great too)
* decorative paper napkins
* Squares of thin cork or felt, both available at your local craft store
* Water-proof glue, like E-6000
* A foam or stiff bristle brush to apply the water-proof glue
First, brush the tile tops and their edges with a coat of Mod Podge.
UNFOLD your napkin and find a pretty spot on it, center the image on your tile and then apply them to the tile, making sure you fold the napkin down to cover the edges. DO NOT worry about wrinkles!! They just add character to your coaster!!! Also, you might find it easier to cut your paper napkin into more manageable pieces before applying them to the tiles.
Wait 3 to 5 minutes and then carefully rip away the excess paper napkin, pulling downward as you tear.
After the Mod Podge is COMPLETELY dry, you can address the edges. Leaving them ripped, gives them a 'hand painted' look. If you want a more polished look, use a bit of sandpaper to sand off the napkin from the edges.
Then, apply three coats of polyurethane to the tops and the sides of the tile, letting it dry completely between coats, of course.
See the full instructions!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades